Apr 28, 2010

Goal Update

Well It's a little late but summer is officially over and as we are half way to winter its probably a good idea to look at the goals I set back in January.


As part of this I need to set some goals, this year I am being fairly optemistic with my goal setting;
  1. Do a trad course and improve so I can confidently lead trad routes.
  2. Climb my first grade 21, this will most likely be Real Life Ambition.
  3. By the end of the year climb my first 22.
  4. Climb in at least 2 places I have not climbed before.
Looking at the above I have managed to achieve only one of my goals thus far although number one's improvement is good. Here is the status so far;

1. I have not signed up for nor done a trad course, I am becoming confident in my placements and anchor systems. The trad course is definitely still on the cards though as I still feel there is much to learn.

2. This is still a work in progress. I've spent only two days (about 4-5 hrs) projecting the route. The crux remains  an issue but everything leading up to this seems easier.

3. I think this will be achievable, Stolen Glory is looking like the goal route, the moves are all doable I just need to go for it harder with only 2 hrs put into projecting it.

4. I have actually done this as I climbed at both Mt Cuthbert and Bob's Hollow. This I think is key to improving as it provides variety and gives some new challenges. 

Realistically I need more time on lead, this is going to be a focus over the next few months particularly when it comes to harder grades. I'm starting to see the idea behind the pyramid idea proposed in alot of books, this means I really need to go and backfill my current pyramid. I 'm being overly nerdy and have started a spreadsheet of climbs that I have done and that are readily available, this should help see some good progress being made.

No comments:

Post a Comment